When oh when is Asylum coming out?

So “a future add-on of sorts that turns the game into a completely different experience: 100% exploration with additional quests” = Asylum: Memories. I expected that to be the second idea, what seemed like the first step of the plan to press even the last drop out of Asylum. I mean at some point even the last one must been oversaturated with that building.
I don’t have any problem with Asylum: Memories, I would gladly pay for it again (although I must say that I prefer to see the Hanwell Mental Institute and it’s surroundings at night). But as long as Memories wouldn’t become standalone, then in my eyes the term DLC is never wrong in these days where you would sell a addon of course digitally. Also Steam would call it DLC too.

Is that gonna be a FPS-like adventure for the asylum : memories?
hahaha

I recently acquired and played the old school platform game, Sanitarium. It was delightfully creepy. I’m really looking forward to this release.

Edit: Oh noes, I’m not showing as a backer. I must be one of the peasant PayPal backers. Woe is moi.

Not anymore! And sorry, we have to update the badges manually for PayPal backers :frowning:

I made my first post in the welcome topic, but I popped in to ask how the game is progressing? Last I heard the game was coming out Dec 2013 but I’m happy to know development is still underway. I loved Scratches and hope this game can equally, if not more, deliver. :smiley:

[quote=“Agustín, post:44, topic:670”][quote author=Gatorau link=topic=1924.msg12740#msg12740 date=1395905095]Edit: Oh noes, I’m not showing as a backer. I must be one of the peasant PayPal backers. Woe is moi.
[/quote]
Not anymore! And sorry, we have to update the badges manually for PayPal backers :([/quote]

I am a PayPal backer as well, $75 tier.

I’m not sure when you registered, but if you didn’t get the latest update, here’s a link to the Kickstarter version: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror/posts/785145

Thanks again for your help!

ping! surely a more confident date is available by this time.

The sweet things most wait… X3… So… lets eat candies while waiting… XD

We have a much better idea, yes, but we want to wait a bit more before announcing a final and solid release date. The game is currently in alpha and the migration to Unity nearly complete – we’ve done tons of things to make the game look incredible in every regard and allow us to finish “building” the asylum as quickly as possible (the new hotspot system in Dagonity is bloody awesome!).

I expect to reach a fully playable beta in March. Then it might be 2-3 months until the game is fully tested and ready to hit the streets.

Incoming demo for Kickstarter backers too. Hoping to share more updates soon :slight_smile:

[quote=“Agustín, post:49, topic:670”]We have a much better idea, yes, but we want to wait a bit more before announcing a final and solid release date. The game is currently in alpha and the migration to Unity nearly complete – we’ve done tons of things to make the game look incredible in every regard and allow us to finish “building” the asylum as quickly as possible (the new hotspot system in Dagonity is bloody awesome!).

I expect to reach a fully playable beta in March. Then it might be 2-3 months until the game is fully tested and ready to hit the streets.

Incoming demo for Kickstarter backers too. Hoping to share more updates soon :)[/quote]WHATTTT…? The original full game will be released at summer of 2015 …???you are kidding… we waited years for that game…omgggg… :o :’(

Well, this time I’m being conservative with my estimation. And really, 6-8 months these days is nothing. Time will fly, you’ll see :wink:

Only hope for an early access or closed alpha / beta. :-[

:nod: :wink:

[quote=“horrorgamesCrazy, post:50, topic:670”][quote author=Agustín link=topic=1924.msg13216#msg13216 date=1416233547]
We have a much better idea, yes, but we want to wait a bit more before announcing a final and solid release date. The game is currently in alpha and the migration to Unity nearly complete – we’ve done tons of things to make the game look incredible in every regard and allow us to finish “building” the asylum as quickly as possible (the new hotspot system in Dagonity is bloody awesome!).

Incoming demo for Kickstarter backers too. Hoping to share more updates soon :slight_smile:
[/quote]WHATTTT…? The original full game will be released at summer of 2015 …???you are kidding… we waited years for that game…omgggg… :o :’([/quote]

Well, at least we finally have a solid idea as to when we’ll finally get to play it. That’s better than being left to guess it might take another full year or two. If we’ve waited this many years already, then this sounds perfectly reasonable to me. That’s in spite of my unreasonable response of DAMN of course. :slight_smile:

^I have no problem with waiting, as long as Agustín delivers what he promised about the quality of the game and its story. Take the time you need, Agustín.

This is going to make some people upset but it is what I think. Honestly, I was a huge fan of “Scratches”… I wasn’t aware of the Kickstarter campaign for “Asylum” but I bought in after it closed simply because of how good “Scratches” was. At that point the game was clearly not going to be finished soon but I felt that if contributing helped to finish the game then it was worthwhile. So, “Asylum” is being created to run on the Dagon engine which was already ongoing (OK, I didn’t really understand this since I have used Unity and other engines but if “Dagon” was an engine just focused toward adventure games that could be good I suppose).

OK, two projects but hey as long as it doesn’t stretch the timeline… but wait then comes “Charles Dexter Ward” another game when the first one is not complete and an attempt to crowd fund it… and then “Adamantus”… and Asylum again still not complete. Then the decision to scrap “Dagon” for now and just use Unity.

So then Asylum has to be ported to Unity.

Am I the only one that thinks maybe some choices were made that have delayed the release of this game? Choices made to devote work and effort toward other projects and platforms that had not been crowd funded? Honestly if a company seeks crowd funding for a game, and then works on other projects instead of the crowd funded one… isn’t that in some way a kick in the teeth to the crowd funders?

And then to ask for backing for development of another game when the first is not finished, and there is not even a release date? Isn’t that a kick in the teeth to the original backers of the first game?

Maybe it is just me. Perhaps I am expecting too much, but now I hear that “summer 2015” as possible for some form of release, beta maybe. I have to be honest, I now doubt the game will ever be released. Even if so, is it going to be worth this long of a wait; while the company decided to prioritize other things ahead of it or that at the very least took away from it?

Then the author decides to write about how Kickstarter has changed. He makes some valid points but then I see games like Star Citizen, Elite-Dangerous and others still breaking records. Perhaps it is not as much Kickstarter failing the author or company but more of a comment toward the companies failure to deliver a product in a reasonable time.

I do not have to “have it now”. I am willing to wait… a reasonable time. I am prepared to understand “hitches” in production. Yet at the end of the day… at THIS point, with this game… well I really liked “Scratches”. The author and his company will never again get my money first. No matter how much I want to support Indie game developers, there comes a point where it is just ridiculous.

That’s how I feel about “summer 2015”.

Ah, the human race. So much fun. :slight_smile:

I can understand the unhappiness. :mad:
I know decisions and mistakes happen in ways that we feel they are ridiculous and should not even happen. :disgust:
Unfortunately this quest of humans for the perfect world will never happen - yet we will continue to try and be convinced we make progress, yet we will find the problems and mistakes are unending. :sorry:
Humanity is defined with a kick in the teeth, then wearing braces on them, giving unsmiling poses, and biting a favorite food. :secret:
Humans are going to complain for good, neutral, and bad reasons; and they will not agree on which is right - not every single one of them. :nod: :dancing: :no:
Our leaders (or those who some give the title while others do not) are going to make mistakes - a bunch of them; with some believing them to be too many, others satisfied with performance, and those who could care less. :o

Stand up for what you think is right (or not), that is up to you (or not) and you do have a right (or not). ???

Humans, we all die. :ok:

Now I have a perceived choice - Strawberry, Chocolate, or Vanilla; I will choose … :notme:

:bye: :bye:

Adamantus is not being made by Senscape.

[quote=“Agustín, post:1, topic:497”]Adamantus is the upcoming adventure by RealmsForge, one of the first games being developed with the Dagon engine. Here you can ask about the game and get in touch with its developers. Have fun!

Project page: http://www.senscape.net/adamantus[/quote]

[quote=“sixthscents, post:56, topic:670”]Then the decision to scrap “Dagon” for now and just use Unity.

So then Asylum has to be ported to Unity.[/quote]
It’s not simply Unity, it’s Dagonity. So to speak an addon-pack for Unity (the free as well as the professional version), that is dedicated to development of First-Person Point&Click Adventures (Third-Person ones are planned for later).
Dagonity is being made to make the porting of work already made with Dagon as easy as anyhow possible. Of course that doesn’t mean that Senscape has as less work as possible with that as they have to create the foundation for that, but in the end we anyways have no idea how much or less work it is to port a non 3D-game to another engine. We only know one thing, sticking to Dagon supposedly would have been taking either way more time than switching to Unity or it would have been looking way worse (it probably would have been anyways looking worse).

Yes there have been two and just two choices that have been made, that delayed the release of Asylum. The first one was Dagon, but at least it was an ambitious project. Also at the time when Senscape was starting with the development of Asylum Unity wasn’t nearly as good as it is today, so there certainly was reason to decide to build an good engine for Adventure games (especially first-person ones, with their special technical characteristics) from the ground.
The other wrong decision was to hire additional employees so late. But as the development was slowed down that much by the issues with development of Dagon, this was actually a very good decision as otherwise the Kickstarter money would probably already be depleted by now.

Agustín has explained a lot why he made that decision. The graphical development of Asylum is somewhere around finished so there is only one option to keep the graphics artists employed, by financing a new project so they can start working on it. With the Charles Dexter Ward campaign having failed, Senscape had to split ways with talented people that would have been of great use for future project. Not to talk about the personal problems of that.

Just to confirm, Adamantus is a game that I am working on in Dagon/Dagonity. It is not a Senscape game. So Senscape is not spending “Asylum time” working on Adamantus.

Asylum will be great when it finally gets released… and I do feel confident that it will be released.

** Peace **

@sixthscents, your impatience is understandable, but Agustín already explained multiple times why Asylum got delayed. The justifications are understandable: Dagon was slowing down development (hence the migration to unity) and they needed funding to keep their artists in Senscape (hence the kickstarter for Dexter’s Wards). Granted, these justifications do not have to make us feel less frustrated, but they do earn our patience.