Testing Dagon for Unity

Is it possible for Francisco to allow for the 0001, 0002, 0003, etc. names for the cube faces? All of mine are named that way already. :o

BTW - I work from a map, because this is (for me) the best way to ensure that I always enter in the intended direction. So, north is always north, east is always east, etc. My perception of front and back can change. For instance, if I’m in a vehicle with the nose facing west, the back of the ship is east not back.

P.S. - On the new wiki, I edited the file structure notes to reflect Agustin’s comments and corrections to my post.

Check out the node.lua file in Dagon/Resources/dagon/legacy. You can change the following lines to meet your criteria:

n.nodeCS:SetFaceTexture(“front”, name … “_front” )
n.nodeCS:SetFaceTexture(“right”, name … “_right”)
n.nodeCS:SetFaceTexture(“back”, name … “_back”)
n.nodeCS:SetFaceTexture(“left”, name … “_left”)
n.nodeCS:SetFaceTexture(“up”, name … “_up”)
n.nodeCS:SetFaceTexture(“down”, name … “_down”)

We’ll make this configurable in the future :slight_smile:

For renaming large number of files I suggest using Bulk Rename Utility if you want to try it. I use it and it’s very helpful. It has a way to bulk rename almost any type of file names. For example changing 0001 to _front in all selected files is the simplest task for it. You can even even add/remove/change any part of the text (like third letter and fifth letter). Just make sure you don’t replace your old files for the first a few times you try it. If you make a mistake and rename all your files random things, it might be a problem, but that’s a small possibility since this tool has preview function.

Thanks, Agustin, for pointing me to the file. I’ll take a look at it.

And thanks, CivanT, for the tip about Bulk Rename Utility. I’ll look into it.

FYI Imari I’m close to uploading a set of Lua wrappers that are nearly 100% compatible with old scripts. If they work as expected, the transition would be nearly painless :slight_smile:

Painless is good. Thanks. :smiley:

He said ‘nearly’ painless. All good things come with a little pain somewhere. I remember being born and thinking the whole time "WTF? WTF?

:wink:

Folks, the dagon-unity repo is updated with the latest Lua wrappers that include backward compatibility. To use them you should simply update your Dagon folder in the DagonitySample project.

In short, the new wrappers will issue warnings every time you are using an unsupported feature, sometimes even suggesting an alternative. With this update I was able to load our Dagon++ Asylum scripts without changes – that is, the scripts were all executed, but changes had to be made to get the game running on Dagonity.

So hopefully this update will make the transition much easier in case you want to use Dagonity. I’m still planning to update Dagon++ to make all these features interoperable (sans groovy visual effects that will be only supported in Dagonity).

We’re getting there and it’s looking great :nod:

BTW, “unsupported features” means mostly stuff that hasn’t been implemented in Dagonity but will be there. Some commands will be deprecated for sure (i.e.: walkTo()) but I will properly document those when the time comes.

I'm working on moving [i]Adamantus[/i] into Dagonity again for testing. I have all of my alpha maps saved separately ("MyNode0001_a") and wanted to ask if the Face Controller (or whatever script is involved) could be altered to look for a separate alpha map for the face. This would be after you get Asylum's demo released, of course.
It can, yes. Would you like to add this feature request on GitHub? We're using it to keep track of everything we need to do right now :)
I've gotten one of my outdoor scenes in with a moveable sky and clouds and I really like how it enlivens the scene. It's a very simple scene without slides, videos, or active hotspots, and I still have to figure out how to get movement on my water, but ---progress is good.
Very happy to hear this is up and running! As for water, you best bet will be Theora videos for now. We might implement a shader in the future, but as it's not required for Asylum, only after the game is completed.
I've separated the cube face images into separate folders within the Locations folder. I've also moved the videos into those respective folders. You mentioned sub-folders for the slides and patches. Are you separating them and what are you calling the folder(s)? Can the videos also be in a separate sub-folder or will that mess things up? For now, I've called the sub-folder with the slides and patches "images" in each of the Location folders.
My suggestion is keeping slides and images pertaining to a certain location in the same subfolder. We will have a general Images folder for shared assets, but most likely you will organize the vast majority of your assets in those Locations subfolders :)

You’re right, Agustín - it will be very useful to get feedback from many of the backers. Besides, I’ll definitely reserve judgement until the backer demo gets a proper test drive (the small demo project doesn’t contain enough interactive elements to get the full flavour of what you have in mind).

Pretty cool! It is indeed a good start.

Ok, finally getting around to testing the Dagonity example. (in Unity Pro trial)
Downloaded latest dagon-unity-master into the location for the plugin.
Downloaded the sample dagonity and it has all the main textures it seems.
I have it all setup but I’m getting compiler errors, maybe the current repo is broken?
Here’s the compiler error:

Assets/Dagon/dagon-unity-master/Scripts/Controllers/GameController.cs(43,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MotionBlur' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

edit: I tried commenting out all the references to MotionBlur in the cs file, now it runs but I get other errors and no images in the game window.

OMG Imari, I’m so dumb that instead of replying to the topic I edited your post with my answers. Sorry about that, the forum doesn’t keep a backup, but your original post is quoted entirely :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“shadowphile, post:52, topic:766”]Ok, finally getting around to testing the Dagonity example. (in Unity Pro trial)
Downloaded latest dagon-unity-master into the location for the plugin.
Downloaded the sample dagonity and it has all the main textures it seems.
I have it all setup but I’m getting compiler errors, maybe the current repo is broken?
Here’s the compiler error:

edit: I tried commenting out all the references to MotionBlur in the cs file, now it runs but I get other errors and no images in the game window.[/quote]
Ah, but that’s not installed correctly. You should put the contents of the dagon-unity-master file directly inside the Dagon folder. That is, no intermediate folder.

So funny, Agustin. I came home after a very l-o-n-g day at work and looked at that post with my avatar on it and was dumbfounded. Then I read your post and was laughing out loud. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Thanks, by the way, for the answers. :slight_smile:

And I was thinking here you leveled up and acquired the power to summon Agustin at will :paranoid:

If only… :slight_smile:

Agustin is probably not getting a lot of sleep these days with his pequeño bebé. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Which reminds me, isn’t it about time for another baby picture? Hmmmm?

I’ve been posting tons on Facebook :stuck_out_tongue:

Drat, I may finally have to break down and get a facebook account… ugh.

Facebook is pretty good for finding out what your kids are up to :))