[Spoilers] Did I understood the ending correctly?

I realize in advance that this is probably too obvious to deserve a thread, but here it goes what I understood about the ending (spoilers below this point):

The corpse that we find in the closet is revealed not be Serena’s but actually its the protagonist corpse. Contrary to what the protagonist initially though, he didn’t kill Selena; Selena killed him. He was dead the whole time, and his ghost was amnesic roaming around the cabin trying to remember what happened. The two silluetes that we see through one of the windows are actually Serena and probably their mutual friend who was mentioned earlier in the game when we inspect the photo in the table.

I also presumed that Serena killed him accidently, during that heated argument that resulted in a crack in one of the windows. Or maybe it was on purpose and she and the mutual friend were having an affair. Is any of this correct? Or is this all open to interpretation?

The story is definitely meant to be open to interpretation, but we obviously did have a clear vision of what’d happened prior to the beginning of the game while we were working on it. We didn’t just throw random stuff at the wall and wrote in the stuff that stuck.

As long as you have formed your own assumptions about what is going on, you are not off the mark. But among us, we on the team have decided never to divulge what may or may not be “the truth”. We want to give the player as much power as possible in that respect :slight_smile:

With that in mind, your interpretation is as right as you want it to be, if that makes sense!

^So I guess that even if I asked what is your vision, you would not tell me :frowning:

True, I’m afraid. But a lot of the magic would arguably also be gone.

I don’t want to imply that there is some big, hidden plot that no one will ever know of. Nearly everything you need to know in order to assemble the jigsaw puzzle is in the cabin. But no, none of us can tell you the exact way to put the jigsaw pieces together. That’s your own choice to make :slight_smile:

Ok, fair enough. However, I hope that the ending of Asylum doesn’t leave so many open questions and interpretations like Serena does :S

I’m not saying that I didn’t like Serena (I liked it pretty much, actually); I’m just saying I prefer to know what the writers/developers had in mind rather than to come up with my own theories.

I can’t comment much on that, since I’m not part of the “Asylum” team. But as a mere fan, I do believe “Asylum” will be less of a storytelling experiment than this is.

[quote=“Snake, post:5, topic:704”]Ok, fair enough. However, I hope that the ending of Asylum doesn’t leave so many open questions and interpretations like Serena does :S

I’m not saying that I didn’t like Serena (I liked it pretty much, actually); I’m just saying I prefer to know what the writers/developers had in mind rather than to come up with my own theories.[/quote]

For what it’s worth I arrived at the same conclusion that you did as to the identity of the body. I assumed that she and the friend were having an affair and deliberately killed him and set fire to the cabin to cover it up.

I also happen to agree with you that ambiguous endings aren’t my favourite thing. I can live with them, but I also like to know the ‘true’ ending, even if only by reading about it after arriving at my own conclusions. :slight_smile:

I share your need to know the true canon intentions :). We’re just having too much fun hearing everyone’s impressions and conclusions. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe one day we’ll let slip what we came up with. But not any time soon.

My interpretation is the same as yours.

I think its fun to come up with your own theories about an ending of a game such as Serena. I actually had the same theory as you although at first I thought the protagonist killed his wife and hid her body but then, whoa major twist!

P.s I was suspicious of that wardrobe the whole time. I kept telling myself there was probably a body in there, as a joke since you couldn’t open it right away, and low and behold there actually was! I always assume there is a body in everything…you just never know :stuck_out_tongue:

But what can I say? I’m a dark and twisted person :nod:

I wonder if the beta blockers and the protagonist propensity for high blood pressure also played a huge part in the events that preceeded the game. Maybe Serena and the mutual friend did kill the protagonist, but took advantage of his condition to kill him somehow. Maybe they even botched the attempt and had to kill him in a way that didn’t look like an accident, and that is why they needed to set the cabin on fire.

what i think happened

They were happy for a time, but eventually grew to hate each other. She decided to leave him when her parents died and he didn’t want to attend the funeral. Afterwards they had a big fight and she threw the iron fraying pan at him and accidentally killed him (there is a blood stain on the floor near the kitchen table). She called her friend and they hid the body.

^Holy shit, I didn’t noticed the blood stain. Gotta check it out.

Also, could the beta blockers render the injury even deadlier? Or maybe he stopped takign the beta blockers and was that that actually made the injury lethal?

The incident with the frying pan took place, if i remember correctly, near the room with the bed.
The red stains on the carpet match the red stains on the edge of the table, near the armchair where Serena used to sit (and where the whole arguement started).
It seems to me that Serena shoved the protagonist during the discussion away and he fell to the ground after hurting his head on the edge of the table.
I plead for accident, your honour!

If one of us ever shared our “official” timeline (sequence of events), it would lead to this among the team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcoB6i5bFzk :slight_smile:

(I called our agreement about that the Pact in reference to this episode. :stuck_out_tongue: )

But seriously, like discussed above, even though we came up with a clearly defined and ordered timeline and made everything fit that, there are many interpretations possible. Some of the player theories we like even better than the one we had in mind while making the game!

I’ve gone back to the game to check out the blood stains, but I didn’t find them. Do they only appear after some progress in the game?

Yes, after a while a little stain will appear and as the story progresses, the stain becomes bigger and bigger.