Scratches (Contains Spoilers)

I guess the easiest way to discuss Scratches without someone reading something they didn’t want to read is to put “Day 1/2/3” at the top of your post, so people will know where you are in the game…

Day 3
Anyway, I’m at Monday 10am. I have to say that i’ve been following a guide now and then. I like this guide, it’s relatively spoiler free:

http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcSs/scratches.htm

Last night was definitely the scariest part of the game. First the mask disappearing and then appearing at the door when i tried to leave, and then whatever the hell I saw down in the furnace… :’(

Like the best horror movies, there’s no way you can experience Scratches and then forget about it, I have a feeling Blackwell Manor is always going to occupy a part of my brain.

I was going to hint that you should put spoiler tags but it seems that these forums do not have them, oh well.

No, sorry. I didn’t install that feature :frowning:

Well, we can always use small fonts [size=5pt]like this[/size] :wink:

Ah, blessed people, experiencing Scratches for the first time. How I wish I could do that again…
wait, wasn’t that the purpose of lobotomies? I’m off!

I actually would like to discuss something regarding the plot:

Day 3, final act

So, the big revelation is that Robin didn’t died, and was imprisioned in the cellar. I think this introduces a plot hole: how could the maid of the Blackwoods never realised that there was still a child living in that home? How could they possibly hide a child for that long, even after a murder took place?

One could argue that the maid was also helping the family hide their son, but then why would she write a letter to her mother as if she wouldn’t knew what the hell was going on, and also acuse James Blackwood of murder, when she would know he was inocent?

That mask part also scared the life out of me!

Modern games like RE V-VI and Dead Space 1-2 only rely on gores but who cares when you have a Dragonov handy…

The maid always felt that something was wrong in that house, but never found out the truth. Keep in mind that Robin was immediately locked in the basement (he didn’t spend a single day in the nursery, which was prepared for him but never used).

So, yeah, the Blackwoods managed to keep Robin a secret even to the maid herself. This lasted for two years, and after this period of time she left the house to never return.

^Oh, ok, I though he was locked in the basement only after he killed his mother, and would still spend some time in his nursery.

So, let me see if I got this straight: They locked him in the basement right after birth. But the cellar was not yet built, right? The cellar was made only after both he kills her mother and the maid leaves the house for good. After James Blackwood passes away and the Doctor is left with the house, he cancels the labor that was being made in the 2º floor to build the cellar. This is why that floor is unfinished: the Doctor had to deviate the funds of the bank account to be able to build the cellar. Is this correct?

[quote=“Snake, post:9, topic:552”]^Oh, ok, I though he was locked in the basement only after he killed his mother, and would still spend some time in his nursery.

So, let me see if I got this straight: They locked him in the basement right after birth. But the cellar was not yet built, right? The cellar was made only after both he kills her mother and the maid leaves the house for good. After James Blackwood passes away and the Doctor is left with the house, he cancels the labor that was being made in the 2º floor to build the cellar. This is why that floor is unfinished: the Doctor had to deviate the funds of the bank account to be able to build the cellar. Is this correct?[/quote]
Not quite. The cellar was quickly built along with the construction, utilizing those same resources. When Blackwood dies, the doctor cancels everything and decides to use the funds to keep Robin alive. For example, he hires the meat company to periodically deliver raw meat to the basement (a hint that many overlooked).

Come think of it, I don’t believe the exact date when the construction stops was ever determined, but it’s definitely between the birth of Robin and Blackwood’s death. It doesn’t make much difference, though.

^Ok… but now I am wondering why would the Blackwoods ever want to have a secret cellar… They couldn’t foresee that their son would be born with all those deformities… Was James Blackwood paranoid of something that required a hidden cellar?

Of course not. The cellar was constructed after Robin was born. So yes, there was a period of time when the maid could have discovered Robin. However, clearly she didn’t amidst the confusion of the construction. There are rooms where the Blackwoods could have concealed Robin from the maid, even the nursery itself. It was only for a few weeks.

~!~SPOILERS~!~

It makes sense that that the nursery was never used because nothing LOOKED used, the toys were all in a corner neat as can be and the bricked up and wallpapered. The basement also was rushed as you could note all the construction equipment and supplies lying around. The one thing that bothered me was how Milton did everything after The Blackwoods were gone. I mean I know he was feeding Robin and all that but still. I also wonder if anyone got murdered between the main game and the prologue part.

The furnace scene is one of my top adventure gaming moments ever. :o

[quote=“Agustín, post:12, topic:552”][quote author=Snake link=topic=1800.msg9989#msg9989 date=1363802978]
^Ok… but now I am wondering why would the Blackwoods ever want to have a secret cellar… They couldn’t foresee that their son would be born with all those deformities… Was James Blackwood paranoid of something that required a hidden cellar?
[/quote]
Of course not. The cellar was constructed after Robin was born. So yes, there was a period of time when the maid could have discovered Robin. However, clearly she didn’t amidst the confusion of the construction. There are rooms where the Blackwoods could have concealed Robin from the maid, even the nursery itself. It was only for a few weeks.[/quote]

Ok, gotcha. You really dedicated time to make a neat plot.

[quote=“tanstaafl, post:14, topic:552”][quote author=Tommy link=topic=1800.msg9794#msg9794 date=1363642376]
Last night was definitely the scariest part of the game. First the mask disappearing and then appearing at the door when i tried to leave, and then whatever the hell I saw down in the furnace… :’([/quote]
The furnace scene is one of my top adventure gaming moments ever. :o[/quote]

I was playing the game very late at night in the dark. After the mask scene, then the furnace scene, I was genuinely unnerved but somehow managed to keep playing.

Just want to say that I’m super pleased to have gotten in on this Kickstart. I loved Scratches and have all the faith in the world that Asylumn is going to be mindblowing!

Your username tells me that you are a badass.

Kurt Russell + John Carpenter = Instant Epic

Finished Scratches! I’ll play The Last Visit tomorrow.

SPOILERS:

In terms of the story, does the game actually tell you that Robin killed Catherine? (taking that from the comments above) Or are you supposed to figure it out from details provided to you? I must have missed it. To be honest i played through the final day fairly quickly to get to the ending.

Anyway, I loved it. I got shivers down my spine playing it, cold in the back of my neck! It was those god damn piano chords… The crackling of the fire, the flashes of lightning.

I don’t know if it was deliberate but having contact with the outside world really contributes to the atmosphere of the game i think - it reminds you how alone and isolated you are when you put down the phone.

The most impressive thing about Scratches is how mature the game is. I don’t mean in terms of content (although it certainly is that too) but I mean in terms of design, in the detail and thoughtfulness of the game.

It grabs hold of your imagination and doesn’t let go…