Node space

I thought that I’d just post this in an attempt to save others some grief… :wink:

When constructing your rooms/areas in your modeling program, remember to expand the space. I work with the cameras set a 90 degree FOV, which makes the space appear larger than it is. When the cubic nodes are viewed as they should be in Dagon (where the distortion of the images is corrected), everything appears much closer to the viewer.

I’ve just managed to get a bunch of nodes into Dagon and even though I stretched out my areas to the point that they looked vast in Vue, they look more compacted than I expected.

Perhaps your FOV is too tight?
Like Kinesis, Dagon defaults to a very close FOV that I find suffocating.
In the debug console, type “camera.fov = 65”, or whatever floats your boat.

Thanks, Shadowphile, I’ll try that.

Exactly, perhaps I should set the default FOV to 75. Sorry, I like claustrophobic environments :smiley:

Agustin, I’ve been playing around with this a bit. What is the default FOV? If I change the FOV very much, I seem to get a return to the fisheye lens distortion of the images. It can also make the player POV seem to “float” above an object — like a desk, for instance. So changing the FOV after the fact is not always going to be a solution.

BTW, my scenes were okay, just “smaller” than I anticipated.

The default is quite low: 55. I think the ideal one is between 65 and 75.

For the record, the FOV in Scratches was 55 as well.

BTW, was thinking about this issue of making rooms appear the ‘correct’ size. If you are modeling through the cube-render camera then your standard will be off since the modeling program will not display the same as Dagon.
Here is what I do: I make a separate camera with the same FOV I typically plan or like to use in the game, like 65 degrees. I also set the aspect ratio to the same as my monitor. I zoom the size up to just fill my monitor. When viewing through that camera, it should very accurately represent the same view you will get in the game (without the anxiety). Make sure your FOV is using the same axis as the game (width or height, although it’s usually not specified, you might have to dig in)

Since different players may like to change the FOV settings you can also check against that by changing your cameras FOV around just to see if you can see something you shouldn’t, or something like that.

A tip I’d recommend is to roughly block out your room using simple 3D shapes to represent various objects, doorways, rooms, etc. and also turn off any processor-heavy render settings. That way you can re-arrange these shapes and re-render cubemap images very quickly to suit the particular FOV you wish to use.

Once you are happy with how the simplified view looks when running in Dagon, replace the low-poly proxy shapes with your hi-poly versions. Might sound like an unnecessary extra step but, in the long run, it really does save on substantial time consuming re-rendering to get layouts ‘just right’.

Slightly off-topic but another benefit of doing simplified versions of your rooms is that the process is also great for rapid prototyping your game. It will allow you will identify issues much sooner that are related to oversights with node navigation, puzzles, story plotting, etc. If you can identify these sooner (in simple form) than it means a lot less effort later in the development process when issues tend to be more hassle to rectify.

Got to agree I protype first (but I have a cr*p pc).
There’s nothing worse than having a draw that needs to show open spanning two faces etc, or general layout

just out of interest what do you guys consider a decent “step” to the next node, do you divide the area in say a metre grid, or jut go by the space and possible elements stuck in the way (chair/desk etc)

Can’t say I’ve ever found a standard step size. Too much gridding would also be tedious to play. Mostly it seems like the step sizes are in context and are totally up to the designer.
However, from experience, stepping ‘through’ obstacles is kind of annoying. Steps sizes seem best when matched to the size of the obstacles around. In an office, one meter steps make sense. In a barnyard, stepping halfway along the length of a building is also reasonable.

I agree with Shadowphile. Often in an enclosed space, I feel then need usually for smaller “steps” between nodes, than say, on a path through the woods. After “walking” the areas in Dagon, I’ve sometimes added a node or two along a path, though, since huge steps can sometimes be disorienting.

thanks, thats pretty much what I figured :slight_smile:

put this in your main script:

hotkey(F1, "camera.fov = camera.fov - 5") hotkey(F2, "camera.fov = camera.fov + 5")
(or whatever hotkeys you want)

edit: try dropping to zero, or negative FOV :smiley:

[quote="“shadowphile”"]put this in your main script:

hotkey(F1, "camera.fov = camera.fov - 5") hotkey(F2, "camera.fov = camera.fov + 5")
(or whatever hotkeys you want)

edit: try dropping to zero, or negative FOV :smiley:[/quote]

Haha great finding :lol: