Newcomers ahoy!

Glad to hear you made progress, Tony. Don’t worry, everyone goes through that stage of trying to wrap their head around how to make cubemaps. :slight_smile:

Tried Bryce before but found the interface cumbersome for trying to do anything beyond simple scenes. Would definitely recommend giving Blender a go - it’s quite rich in features and, being open source, there are plenty of free learning materials, downloadable models, etc. There’s a great tutorial site called Blender Cookie with loads of free video tutorials and they recently refreshed their Blender introduction course so as good a time as any to try it out (find it here).

Yep, I always do that. I’ve never understood why anyone would want the sun linked to the view, to be honest. I’ve always hated that setting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Lens flares? I didn’t even know that Bryce had lens flares! I should point out that mine is an old version - Bryce 5.5 - which was a free download. Are lens flares perhaps only in later versions? If they are present in 5.5, where would I find them?

Me? Oh my!

shuffles nervously

Uh… I’ve never written a tutorial for anything!

Perhaps I could give it a go… maybe… but I’d need to do a lot more experimenting to be sure.

Thanks, Finn. Though it’s kind of frustrating that it was such a basic misinterpretation that led to all my confusion. :-[

Ironically, I think that’s what I like about it. I’m no great technical artist, believe me, and I’ve found most other programs far too complex for my liking. Bryce’s interface has always been reasonably intuitive to me whereas others I’ve tried tend to be confusing. I’m sure that all the advanced functions and parameters are great for experienced artists… now if only I were an experienced artist. :stuck_out_tongue:

Still, it’s been a while so maybe another attempt is in order. With a better grasp of the basics, I may find them easier to follow this time.

Cool, thanks for the links! I might give it a try some time. I’ve tried out several rendering programs in the past and I know of Blender but I can’t remember if I’ve ever given it a go. I have a vague recollection which may have been Blender, but I could be mixing them up in my head. Is it anything like DAZ Studio? That might be what I’m thinking of.

Also, while we’re on the topic, how is Blender for rendering speed? One thing that frustrates me about Bryce is that its rendering speed is just painful. Especially since I’m on an old computer with a single-core processor which, as you can imagine, makes for excruciating render times. Truthfully, if I wanted to do anything really serious with it, I would need to upgrade. I don’t even know if Bryce is designed to take advantage of multi-core processors, but it certainly couldn’t be any worse than what I’m using.

Select the camera from the "Select Options" drop-down menu at the bottom of the screen, then click on the Attributes icon.

Enter the following Settings for each image, leaving the other settings untouched before switching to camera view:

Image1: X=0; Y=0
Image2: X=0; Y=90
Image3: X=0; Y=180
Image4: X=0; Y=270
Image5: X=-90; Y=0
Image6: X=90; Y=0

Set the F.O.V. to 112.75 degrees.

Also, you will need to uncheck the “Link Sun to View” box in the Sky Lab, or the lighting will vary from face to face.

A good size for the faces would be 1024 x 1024 pixels.

The images can be rendered as one six-frame movie, or the six views stored in the “Saved Views” and rendered and exported individually.

From the Pipmak Wiki
My first ever really successful image was done in Bryce although I moved onto Carrara shortly after
I thought lens flare was in environment options? could be wrong its been a scary long time since I used Bryce

I would say Blender is a lot quicker rendering and there’s quite a few render engine plugins as well plus the compositor is amazing

Actually, I don’t think that you can do lens flares in Bryce. I just meant that whatever program you’re using, lens flares can cause the seams to show… so turn them off. Sorry, if I was confusing. :-[

Ah, cool! That’s exactly how I did it. Mind you, the FOV I ultimately worked out was off by a tiny bit (less than a quarter of a degree), but then I wasn’t rendering in HD or anything. Anyway, I guess I don’t need to write a tutorial now - that one explains it perfectly.

I know of Carrara but I’ve never used it. I think my problem is that I’ve gotten so used to using Bryce that I have a hard time adapting to any sufficiently different interface.

Is Blender compatible with files created in Bryce? Perhaps what I need is a different rendering program, so that I can do the modelling/texturing in Bryce, then import to the other program for rendering.

Heh! No problem. Thanks for the answer.

Back to Dagon itself… I have some more noob questions (for anyone, not just those I’m responding to). As before, I apologize if these have already been explained elsewhere. I really have tried to figure this out from the lua files but I’m just not getting it.

I’m trying to link two separate rooms with a pre-rendered animation between them. You’d think I could figure this out just by messing around with the Cafeteria/Corridor B door but apparently not. I’ve experimented so much that I’m not even sure what I did right on the occasions I had partial success.

So can somebody clearly spell out for me what code I need to add (and to which specific files) to do the above? And while I’m on the subject, is it possible to do this between nodes? I’m fine with linking nodes but is there a way to place a video transition between them like with rooms?

As always, thanks for the help guys. I may be a slow learner, but I am learning. :slight_smile:

Hi Tony,
I’m doing it this way –

[code]–video of cable car ride
–size = 1920 x 1200
–disabled at first
CableCar_ride_to_AI = GY1a:addSpot(Spot(WEST, {64, 424}, {sync = true}) )
CableCar_ride_to_AI:attach(AUDIO, “CableCar_Up_AI4-GY1a.ogg” )
CableCar_ride_to_AI:attach(VIDEO, “cable_car_GY1a_AI4.ogv” )
CableCar_ride_to_AI:disable()

–spot for the lever
lever_GY1a = GY1a:addSpot( Spot(DOWN, {0, 1539, 204, 1539, 204, 1804, 0, 1804} ) )
lever_GY1a:attach(FUNCTION,
function()
self:setCursor(USE)
lookAt(270, 0, true) --look at the lever
CableCar_ride_to_AI:enable()
CableCar_ride_to_AI:play()
CableCar_ride_to_AI:stop() --may not need this line
switch(AngelIsle, true)
switch(AI4, true)
lookAt(90, 0, true) --set camera direction to match end of video
end)[/code]

The true at the end of the switches is new in version 1014. Switches include the sound of footsteps and an accompanying movement of the camera three times forward to simulate walking. By default that’s on, but if you add the true, then it turns off the footstep sounds and movement. There’s still a flicker of the old scene upon arrival, which needs to be weeded out and I’ll have to ask Agustin for that last change, but I thought that he should have his vacation in relative peace. :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope this helps.

Hi Imari.

No disagreement from me. Besides, I’m not there yet anyway. I’ve managed to attach the video file but I’m having a hard time sizing it. Getting the first frame to match the node wall is proving to be tough. Especially since my editing software insists on changing the framing of the video, so that instead of just making everything the same resolution, I have to render the damn thing and then make it fit by trial and error adjustments of the co-ordinates. ???

Then I have to figure out why the video isn’t ending. I mean… it “ends” to the extent that it plays through and stops, but then it just sits on the last frame instead of transitioning to the next environment. This is probably another simple piece of coding that I’m just not familiar with. Or perhaps I don’t have the rooms linked properly. Do rooms link the same as nodes, or are they coded differently?

It does. Thank you. I’m still in over my head with some things but I guess I’m making progress considering I knew absolutely no coding whatsoever just a few weeks ago. I used to know nothing about coding; now I know slightly more than nothing. :smiley:

And that’s, in no small part, thanks to the help I’ve received here I might add. Baby steps or not, I’m moving in the right direction, and I’m grateful to those of you helping me learn how to walk. :slight_smile:

Hmmm… If your video is a full screen video sized 1920 x 1200, then the coordinates {64, 424} should work for it. (Agustin says that you can also used videos sized 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 800 for FSVs.)

I think that you’re using more sophisticated software than I am (Vue Infinite, VideoMach, Hitfilm, and Corel Photopaint), but sometimes less features means that the program doesn’t try to second guess what you’re intending to do. :stuck_out_tongue:

I render all of my videos as image sequences in PNG format, then just run them through VideoMach to create the OGVs. If I need layers to create the image sequence then I use Hitfilm. If I need to locate the position of a video on a spot, then I use the same method as I do for patches on spots, which I described here → http://forum.senscape.net/index.php/topic,1852.0.html

I’ve not had the problem of the video “hanging” on the last frame. Is the switch after the movie plays? Order is really important in Dagon. It almost sounds as like something “internal” in your video, but I really have no clue. Sorry.

Finally, you use a link to move from node to node within a room, but you need a switch to move to the next room. You might also need a second switch to a specific node within that room — should the switch need to go to a node other than #1 or if there’s any chance that the player can have exited from a node other than #1 from that room. This happens when you have more than one exit from a room that uses two or more nodes for exits.

Edit: Just a note, the first node of a room does not have to be numbered 1. You can lead with any node by putting it at the top of your list of nodes.

FSVs? That’s a new one on me, I’m afraid.

And, for the record, I’m making the video file 1024 x 1024, which is the same resolution as the walls of the cube map.

Basically, the idea is that when the wall is clicked, it displays the pre-rendered animation transitioning to what will be the corresponding wall in the linked room. So, for example, the north wall of room 1 is clicked, whereupon it plays the animation showing us moving forward (north), and the final frame of the animation matches the north wall of room 2 which we are now in… thus creating the illusion of an actual traversable 3D environment.

I’m also interested to see if this can be done between nodes and not just rooms.

Argh! I figured out what the problem was with that. I was adjusting the video’s dimensions in-project, but it was the “canvas” itself that was too small and the wrong ratio, and you have to define its resolution at the start when you create the project. So I just created a new project with 1024 x 1024 resolution, and the video fitted in perfectly.

Thanks for the link. I have GIMP so I should be able to use that method. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried many different ways but I can’t figure out where it’s supposed to go. I’m not even sure if I’m using the correct syntax, much less putting things in the right order. I looked through the command reference on the wiki and I still can’t get it to work.

Ok, how about this? Say I want to go from the cafeteria to corridor b, and for simplicity sake we’ll use node 1 in each room. Now, here is the sequence of events…

1. You’re standing in cafeteria node 1 facing the north wall.

2. You click the north wall.

3. The north wall displays the pre-rendered video.

4. When the video ends, you’re standing in corridor b node 1 facing the north wall.

Ok, first of all, the file that I need to edit is the cafeteria.lua file, correct? Do I need to do anything with the corridorb.lua file to tell it to “receive” the switch or something? If not, here’s the edit for the cafeteria.lua file…

door = cafeteria1:addSpot( Spot(NORTH, {0, 0, 2048, 0, 2048, 2048, 0, 2048}, {sync = true}) ) door:attach(VIDEO, "door_cafeteria1_corridorb.ogv") door:attach(FUNCTION, function() lookAt(NORTH) self:play() end)

Is this correct so far? If so then where does the switch go? And what is the correct syntax? Is it just switch(corridorb)… or do I need to specify the node with switch(corridorb1)?

That’s ok. No problem.

Although, I don’t think it’s likely to be the video because, in the process of making everything match, I rendered probably a dozen or so such videos, all of which I tried, and they all did the same thing - play through once then sit frozen on the last frame. ???

Hi Tony. I’ve just gotten back. Did you work through the issues yet? If not, I’ll take a look and see if I can help.

Hi Imari. Welcome back! :slight_smile:

I did somewhat figure it out, although I’m still not completely clear on how these functions work. My method of learning combines research with liberal use of trial and error. :slight_smile:

From my previous message…

[quote=“Tony, post:29, topic:424”]1. You’re standing in cafeteria node 1 facing the north wall.

1. You click the north wall.

2. The north wall displays the pre-rendered video.

3. When the video ends, you’re standing in corridor b node 1 facing the north wall.[/quote]

Ok, here’s what I ended up with for the Cafeteria.lua file…

room 'CorridorB'

cafeteria1 = Node("cafeteria1")

transition = cafeteria1:addSpot( Spot(NORTH, {0, 0, 2048, 0, 2048, 2048, 0, 2048}, {sync = true}) )
transition:attach(VIDEO, "door_cafeteria1_corridorb.ogv" )

transition:attach(FUNCTION,
	function()
		lookAt(NORTH)
		transition:play()
		switch(CorridorB, true)
		switch(CorridorB1, true)
		transition:stop()
	end)

This appears to do the job, although, as you said previously, after the video finishes there’s still the default “zoom” effect to simulate walking to the new area. I’ve been trying to find a way to get rid of this but I’m afraid I just don’t have the know-how.

I can conceive of some ways that it might be possible to “cheat” - not actually getting rid of the zoom but hiding it. The problem is that I don’t know how to implement them.

One idea I had was to have both the zoom and the video launch at the same time, so that the zoom happens behind the video while it’s playing. That way, by the time the video ends, the zoom will have completed and the static room will be there for the video to cut to.

But I’ll be damned if I can figure out how to make it happen. I noticed that you said order is important, so I experimented with that a bit, particularly the positions of the transition:play() and transition:stop() commands, but nothing seemed to have the desired effect.

Though, again, this was all done in the Cafeteria.lua file. Maybe it can be done from the other end? Perhaps there’s a way to instruct the CorridorB.lua file to begin the video at the same moment as (or just before) the new room is “zoomed” into? Something like that? I don’t know if that’s how these things work or even if that’s possible; it’s just a thought.

Perhaps this is just the way Dagon is written. It may require editing the source code itself, and if that’s the case then I’m screwed. I’m having a hard enough time learning the simple functions it’s programmed to use. :stuck_out_tongue:

Incidentally, would it be possible to create this same effect (a “transition video”) between nodes themselves, not just separate rooms?