Hello, and horah!

Hi everyone, I’ve spoken to one of you on the kickstarter page but thought I’d formally introduce myself here on the forums. I’ve been reading plenty of stuff on here and on the wiki and, although I was first pointed towards the Asylum game, as soon as I learned about Dagon and played the interactive teaser and read more about the engine mechanics I became far more excited about this area! It also allows me to not worry so much about how bloody scary I find the game - I can now approach it totally from a developers point of view… ahhh this node has a cubemap that really lends itself to that freakish overlay of blood dripping fangs…etc. Yes, I’m a wuss.

Anyway, there are a few things I’d like to ask - but feel free to point me to the wiki page (or other forum posts) if I’ve missed them.

Firstly, iOS. I see this has been talked about previously, but is there any kind of timescale at all yet? I must admit this is the most exciting aspect for me right now - being able to put this on iOS devices would be wonderful. Please, no dirty looks at me wonderful Android fans :wink:

Secondly, in a similar vain to the first, what/when might we hear more details about the engine supporting third person? I presume it will still be in a “3d” format? Or will it turn in to a more traditional point and click interface?

Finally, I have read about cubemaps and seen the tutorials and the script for creating through to making a .tex file - now I am a programmer not a designer/artist and I’ve never used blender or the equivalents before. My question is simple - is it worth me spending a little time getting to know blender and learning to make the maps myself, or is this like someone saying “is it worth me spending a little time getting to know how to write an iOS app myself” for instance. I am a little naive here but don’t want to appear ignorant - I want to gauge whether it’s something I’d be able to pick up in a normal amount of time or whether it’s something that can take, say a couple of years to achieve a decent level. If it’s the former, at least to a basic level, can anyone point me towards any good beginner tutorials or books to get me up to speed?

I was contemplating modelling my house (or at least a few rooms) to practice getting used to the engine and scripting and stuff like that - unless anyone has any better suggestions?l

Bonus idea: Some of you clever people on here should travel to an alternative dimension where time is of no object and write a book on how to use the Dagon engine - possibly from a beginner to moderate level, with information on everything from the scripting, cubemaps, etc, etc… a man can dream, eh? :slight_smile:

Whoa, long post… :slight_smile:

Hi Leonard, glad to see you in the forums! I can’t speak to your questions on iOS or 3rd person capabilities for Dagon. I know that Agustin plans to add porting to the portable devices, but I’m not sure when. So far as I recall, Agustin’s only mentioned adding in 3D meshes once before, so I’m guessing that’s very far in the future… unless he discovers a need for it for Asylum. :slight_smile: If you’re looking to do a 2.5D point-and-click like Lost Crown, I’d look at the Wintermute Engine. You don’t have the panoramic node that you do in Dagon, but you can add a 3D character.

As for learning a programs for making and rendering your cubemaps, there are a lot of choices. I think most people on this forum use Blender, so you’ll be likely to get help specific to Dagon using that. Others have used Bryce and 3DS Max. I use Vue d’Esprit. I’d suggest downloading a few trial version to see if one feels easier or more comfortable than the other to you.

Good luck!

Hey Leonard, glad to “see” you here! :slight_smile:

A quick reply about our plans of iOS: at some point we will look at this port, yes, but the idea is to make it a stretch goal in the Kicsktarter campaign. It can be an expensive development and we need another person to exclusively look into it.

Let us know how your project progresses, we’ll be glad to help!

Hi Leonard!

What she said.
What I have found is that making the ‘digital assets’ as they are called in the industry is really two different skills:

-3D modeling is very geometrical, structured and tool-intensive, but not strange to a programmer or mechanical designer, or anybody with a technical background. Its a very broad skill set though, requiring effort in areas of building geometrical models, lighting, digital sculpting, 2D image creation and manipulation, scads of other stuff. If you plan on having animated elements, there is another whole set of skills to explore. Add the need to create sound and music and you start to get the picture. Blender is way more complex than any engineering design program I use.

Resources to make your job easier include 3D models, image-based textures, sound-effects available on the web, too many to list. Very few professionals try to do everything from scratch and many rely heavily on resources from the web.
(some are free and many will charge to download)

It should also be noted that some programs are more push-button than others. At the top of the effort stack is probably Blender. Very powerful and seemingly growing at incredible rates (for a free program), but there aren’t many “I want a cow standing here” type of buttons.

And then there is part I find most difficult (as a programmer and all-around engineer)
-Pure artistry, and that is what can make or break a game. Normally somebody comes up with artist concept sketches that indicate mood, style and look of the final results. (just like the movies or say…clothing fashion).

(Some of us do it backwards, build the models, see how they look, play with the lighting, eventually converge on some kind of artistry that seems to support or inspire whatever world we envision. Some are more comfortable with this route, others may find it’s too zig-zag for them.)

The modelers then take those sketches and try to make them real models that can be rendered or used directly in the game. Modeling for pre-rendered and modeling for real-time games have quite distinct differences)

Normally the modeling and programming are separated between different people. I believe (don’t quote me!) that Agustin is doing mostly Dagon programming, Asylum game scripting, story development, and artistic input. Others are doing the intensive design work. I think that even the one-man indie developers use as much help as they can get.

Anyway, hopefully this doesn’t intimidate you but get’s you excited, it’s a really fun arena to play around in! (although sometimes it feels like stepping up to the plate with my bat and somebody hard-balls a football at me. :slight_smile: )

And we love to help others out, so feel free to ask whatever.