Discuss old horror movies

There’s already a thread about new horror movies so I thought I would look for some recommendations about old movies as well.

My personal favourite is the black and white 1957 horror movie Night of the Demon. It’s a brilliant psychological horror about the conflict between the rational scientific worldview, represented by the sceptical (American) psychologist Professor Holden, and the magical occult worldview represented by the simultaneously amiable and sinister (British) witch cult leader Dr Karswell. The special effects are actually pretty good for an old movie, but it’s not a film that relies on special effects to convey its sense of dread and impending doom. Kate Bush sampled the seance scene for the Hounds of Love so guess she’s also a fan. I think I’ve watched this film even more times that Ferris Bueller’s Day Off !

Also worth mentioning here is John Carpenter’s In the Mouth of Madness. Admittedly it’s not as good a movie as They Live or The Thing, but as John Carpenter’s nod to Lovecraft and the mythos it’s definitely worth watching.

In the Mouth of Madness is one of the movies that made me love horror movies as a child. But the true masterpiece of my childhood is definitely Jacob’s Ladder. Probably everybody knows it, but that won’t stop me from recommending it everywhere.

Sad Realization of the Day: 1990 was almost 30 years ago.

Yep definitely a movie that sticks in the mind and one of the best plot twists ever at the end. The speeded up head shaking effect sequences are still really freaky, even after seeing it several times. And even knowing the ending, its still open to different interpretations. Great movie.

Hmm, I don’t think I watched this before, will take a look this weekend, thanks for the recomendations :wink:

I’m currently recommending rare and (mostly) excellent horror classics on Twitter to celebrate spooky October!

Wow, Possession was a really heavy movie to watch!. My take is that the whole thing is a memory of the events leading up to the end, distorted by guilt and madness, but probably everyone will have a different view of what’s really going on, or no clue whatsoever :smile:

Makes me want to line up another Adjani classic I’ve not seen for a while:

220px-Nosferatu_Phantom_der_Nacht