Direct download to Serena (for those of you who hate steam...)

Thanks to Aaron is now on indiedb

To the developers.
Its linked to the development group for asylum so you are free to manage it as you would with asylum.

Just sharing the indie love.

Regards
Aaron

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I uploaded the game to Mega (YOU DO NOT need an account or paid to download the game, it is a direct link!)

Please read the EULA (End-user license agreement) before downloading the game. (It’s inside the folder too)

How to Install:
*Unzip the folder
*Play the game!

Compressed with 7zip an open source software.
http://www.7-zip.org/

MUST READ EULA(End-user license agreement):

SERENA depends on many open source packages, each one of them with their own credits, disclaimers and legal mumbo-jumbo: DAGON - An Adventure Game Engine Copyright (c) 2011-2014 Senscape s.r.l. All rights reserved. http://www.senscape.net/dagon Programming: Agustín Cordes Contributors: Alexander Alekseev Ignaz Forster Gerardo Heidel Jan Kavan Dmitry Marakasov - FreeType by David Turner, Robert Wilhelm, and Werner Lemberg: Portions of this software are copyright (c) 2013 The FreeType Project (www.freetype.org). All rights reserved. - GLEW by Milan Ikits, Marcelo Magallon, and Lev Povalahev: The OpenGL Extension Wrangler Library Copyright (C) 2002-2007, Milan Ikits Copyright (C) 2002-2007, Marcelo E. Magallon Copyright (C) 2002, Lev Povalahev All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. * The name of the author may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. http://glew.sourceforge.net - Lua by Roberto Ierusalimschy, Waldemar Celes, and Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo: Copyright (C) 1994-2012 Lua.org, PUC-Rio. Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE. http://www.lua.org - Ogg, Theora, and Vorbis by Xiph.org: Copyright (C) 2002-2009 Xiph.org Foundation Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. - Neither the name of the Xiph.org Foundation nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promoteproducts derived from this software without specific prior written permission. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FOUNDATION OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. http://www.xiph.org - OpenAL by various authors: This library is distributed under the terms of the GNU LGPL license: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html http://www.openal.org - SDL by Sam Lantinga: Simple DirectMedia Layer Copyright (C) 1997-2013 Sam Lantinga This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software. Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions: 1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required. 2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software. 3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution. http://www.libsdl.org - stb_image by Sean Barret: This library is in the public domain. http://www.nothings.org

Link 301.5 MB

https://mega.co.nz/#!m4Zi2DzC!ThUGUGCikhjfPyjkdhyvHD-cm3J6nIib1y1ZDhnH8s4

Cool! Thank you for taking the time to do this - especially in being so thorough with the EULA. And to other people reading this thread who don’t already know, we on the “Mysterious Dev Team” are totally fine with people “pirating” this game. We just want as many people as possible to experience the story.

For the record, Agustín is looking into other distribution channels as we speak. But we have no time frame to go by, nor do we know if any of the services he currently has in mind might actually be interested in distributing it.

So your download is obviously a much faster way of satisfying Windows users who aren’t fans of Steam. So thanks again!

Hi there Frede, my intention wasn’t to promote the pirating of the game at all (hard to do it since it’s free and the EULA says that everyone can redistribute it, yes I read it before doing this post :stuck_out_tongue: )
I created this post because of one discussion in the kickstarter comment section about how steam uses DRM and that this is not a real drm-free game since it is only being share on steam (they wont play it for that reason) so I made this post for them.

Oh, I know - that was the reason I put “pirating” in quotation marks :slight_smile:

I’m glad those people will now get to the play the game. There have definitely been more than a few complaints. I myself have learned to live with Steam, but I can definitely understand those who don’t want to use it.

So, again, grateful that you’re doing this so people don’t have to wait till we get the game released through other channels.

I must admit I don’t use Steam or wish to, however I did install it on my laptop to get the game… which didn’t work, so I ended up digging around until I found Serena and moved it over to my main computer… and it worked fine, yeeeh!
I
I haven’t used Steam since it rejected my Half Life codes and had a hell of a time getting it sorted >:(

I must admit I’m all for more direct downloads, and I’d probably not bother if I have to install loads of sh*te that I’ll never use again first… its only because its Dagon and the community related that I did take the time tbh

After some time playing the game, i’ve pushed the button “ESC” on my keyboard, thinking i could find a menu to see if i could use the jewelry that the character took from the trunk, and the game suddenly crashed.

what are game’s keyboard control? how could i prevent it from crashing? I play on windows xp.

Esc quits the game. There is no menu.

Hello Chaps

I was surprised to see your game wasnt on indiedb, so ive added it, i also packed up the the game off steam like Gaston, and its ready to download off indiedb (EULA attached) as i dont have a point of contact for the developer and as it seems you guys support people sharing your hardwork, i hope you dont mind the download and game being listed here.

To the developers.
Its linked to the development group for asylum so you are free to manage it as you would with asylum.

Just sharing the indie love.

Regards
Aaron

Thank you, Aaron! I’ll be in touch with you via email soon :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for doing this! I absolutely refuse to install Steam on my PC, so being able to experience Serena without that bloated, resource-hogging, spyware-laded DRM garbage is an absolute dream come true! :slight_smile:

huggles
Areala

Would it be possible to also provide the Linux version on Indie DB?

It’s the plan, yes, though it’s a pain to distribute Linux builds without Steam :frowning:

There’s an update coming for Serena, so I might take the opportunity to compile it for Ubuntu. Remember that you can download the zip and attempt to compile Dagon manually :wink:

I did that, but I still need the data files. Thinking of it I could take them from the Windows version… I think I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:

Right, the game is distributed as a zip, so you can definitely do that! :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The key is to link libraries that differ between distributions or aren’t installed by default statically.
Here’s a script to compile such binaries on Ubuntu 14.04: https://gist.github.com/darealshinji/6a1ebd2dad17917bc585

Static libraries of libGLEW and libSDL2 have to be compiled manually (by default GLEW is not available as a static library and SDL2 has too many special dependencies).

edit: I’ve attached pre-built binaries.

dagon_0.6.8a~git20141113_linux.tar.xz (1.9 MB)