Dagon Wizards [Retired]

Coming soon to a desktop near you!

Dagon configuration Wizard
This is a simple text parser that can read and write the Dagon.cfg file
[attachment=1:22k6jk43]dagoncfg 1.png[/attachment:22k6jk43]

Status 95% done

Dagon Tex Converter Wizard
This wizard converts imagesets to TEX, can convert multiple image sets from any location
[attachment=0:22k6jk43]texconverter 1.png[/attachment:22k6jk43]

Others?
Game LUA file Writer
Tex viewer

These are all prototypes and written with AutoIT, the plan is to share the source and move on to C++ and hopefully get a little help with C++ by example :wink:

Hey, aren’t we’all the Dagon Wizards? :sunglasses:

Nige, these look great and they should be very helpful. Looks like you have the beginings of a Dagon front end. :slight_smile:

Its all part of a cunning plan :wink:
I have no idea how far this is going to go, the Dagon.cfg one was really easy so the main scene one looks very promising, then moving forward to a room script writer is looking more and more doable.
At the moment it’ll just be a bunch of tools to try and keep it simple :slight_smile:

This is really awesome, Nige, you outdid yourself! They look very helpful indeed, so much that we’ll start using those ourselves :wink:

A script writer is a more complicated task. What would kill right now is a hotspot editor. For example, you load a texture and let the user draw a polygon, which you then convert to Dagon coordinates. It’s very straightforward as coordinates are always relative to the texture size.

We still have the in-game drawer pending. Shadowphile provided me the math to achieve this (projecting the mouse coordinates to 3D coordinates) but it turns out OpenGL already provides a function for that. It’s precisely what I’m using to show the spot indicators, so this could become a reality soon.

Anyway, lots of stuff to think about! :nod:

P’haps I got one, I remember I wrote code for that a long time ago, I may still have it somewhere

I’m looking into the hotspot editor, I have seen something along those lines in AutoIt so it shouldn’t be that difficult.
I’m caught inbetween the devil and a hard place, I’d love to get all of this to work on Mac, but to do so is going slow things down to a crawl as I aint that good with C++ :oops:

Mine was far from being finished but I don’t remember meeting any major difficulty. Pretty straightforward.

[url=http://i45.tinypic.com/nvo4rd.jpg]http://i45.tinypic.com/nvo4rd.jpg[/url]

these are awesome Nigec!
BTW, I notice that your tex bundler has the freedom to grab different file types for each face. This is way cool for flexibility, but since the reality is most people will render out the six images in the same format you might consider a new field with the format for all of them, and maybe a new ‘default’ setting for the individual files so any can override the default.

I’m 99% sure the Tex converter is working fine so here it is

The imageset fields; you can browse for any of the six images in a set and select it, the converter automatically removes the last 8 strings ie the 0001.tga so the image name is right.
It also uses the full path to the image meaning we don’t need to add the 3 converter files to the image folder

I seem to remember Agustin saying its now only 00X.tga? the converter doesn’t like that! but the tex files still work with converted 000x.tga format in Dagon.

Now the bat file will look like:

cd C:UsersnigeDesktopDGConvertor_GUI DGConverter "C:UsersnigeDesktopimages 0necorrie" jpg

It can also handle white spaces in directory structures

instructions:
1/ Start the DGConvertor_GUI_V003.exe
2/ Click the “path to the DGConverter.exe” button and select the directory were the DGConverter.exe, this is the same directory as the GUI application.
3/ Use Image set buttons and browse for your images, select any of the six images from the set. Imagesets don’t need to be in the same directory.
4/ change the image file format if required, default is set to tga
5/ click “save image set” button, this will list what will be created in the bat file.
6/ You can add more image sets by re browsing for fresh images and adding them by the “save image set” button, as far as I’m aware you can do this as many times as you want :wink:
7/ Once you have all your operations stored click “Convert!” You will get a popup saying “convert.bat was created” click “OK” and the conversion will start and a popup appears once completed.

Tex files will be saved in the same folder as the original set.
Do not over write Tex files.
The convert.bat will be in the DGConvertor_GUI folder also the Dagon converter txt files
Maintain the file structure so DGConverter.exe,glew32.dll, SDL.dll and DGConvertor_GUI_V003.exe are in the same location

Please let me know if you encounter a problem or if its a bit unclear

Is it possible to leave the images inside the zip, for testing’s sake ? :slight_smile: I just wanna make sure it works on linux as well with no flaws :slight_smile:

PS: I see that you use a changelog file there - I’d totally recommend working with git from now on. It may take you a day or two to get used to it but it makes your life so much easier :slight_smile:

[quote="“Nigec”"]…
I seem to remember Agustin saying its now only 00X.tga? the converter doesn’t like that! but the tex files still work with converted 000x.tga format in Dagon.[/quote]

That was for loading images unbundled into Dagon.
Although they need to be the same eventually, otherwise you can’t bundle the same images you test unbundled. (unless you have a fetish for renaming file names… :smiley: )

Frankly, except for quality-testing purposes and final release, I don’t know why anybody wants to bundle their files if they can skip that step. It’s just an additional step to go through and the script code is exactly the same.

[quote="“andisthejackass”"]Is it possible to leave the images inside the zip, for testing’s sake ? :slight_smile: I just wanna make sure it works on linux as well with no flaws :slight_smile:

PS: I see that you use a changelog file there - I’d totally recommend working with git from now on. It may take you a day or two to get used to it but it makes your life so much easier :slight_smile:[/quote]

Its only going to work on Linux under Wine, I haven’t tried it yet as my laptop’s wireless is totally screwed up and its become a Hermit :no: :cry:
But other AutoIT projects have worked fine even AutoIt works great

I’ll gladly share a Dropbox folder with the sources, if you or anyone wants to have access just pm your email and I’ll invite you

The only C++ editor I have working is Borland’s C++ builder 5, VB has conflicts in the registry so wont create projects, this system is 4 1/2 years old and needs a reformat, I messed about for days trying to fix VB and then to get Codeblocks working to be honest I spat my dummy and just went with AutoIt :oops:
CodeBlocks is working on my Linux system but its kinda isolated at the moment.

These wizards could be written in anything, I personally would gain more going to C++ as I have another project that needs it.
It would be great seeing how a C++ version would come together.

That was for loading images unbundled into Dagon. Although they need to be the same eventually, otherwise you can't bundle the same images you test unbundled. (unless you have a fetish for renaming file names... )

Frankly, except for quality-testing purposes and final release, I don’t know why anybody wants to bundle their files if they can skip that step. It’s just an additional step to go through and the script code is exactly the same.

For me tex files are quicker in game, and just lot more tidy, the idea of doing the converter was you don’t need to type anything and that was my goal really, I like things that cut down the muppet element in me :lol:
TBH my computer sucks and its got to the point were I can’t do the scenes that I want because it runs out of memory or render times are hidious, if all goes well I hope to have an i7 by the end of the month but I’m not holding my breath, so little projects like this keep me sane…ish, I find it a nice challenge and its a great feeling when it works, I’m not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination

This may go quiet I’m entering the world of C++ :o
To get the tex viewer to work properly I need C++ skills anyway, it can be done just by running Dagon inside a AutoIt GUI but its not a perfect solution (i do have it working already)

Question for you all, would you prefer a GUI with all the tools built in, or just a wizard for each?

There’s still a far bit of “WTF?!” and “ARGGGGHHHH!” at the moment so please don’t hold your breath… blue doesn’t suit you!

If people have used the tex convertor and it didn’t work please let me know, it works fine for me on Vista 32 but I don’t have win7 or 64bit os

In the end, I think it would probably be best to have it all of a piece. Can you release them as you finish each one and then assemble them at the end? That allows for smaller incremental goals, which might be best for your sanity’s sake. :slight_smile:

Sanity is a very little box and mine was locked away a long time ago lol
That does make perfect sense, plus if Agustin adds new features its a lot easier to change the layout, I ended up adding extra fields to the dagon cfg utility and promptly broke it for about 4 hours lol
The Dagon.cfg wizard will be the first in C++ the AutoIt one has a few issues, just very minor ones but it could mess up, its very fussy parsing text so if the cfg file slightly different the values don’t pass properly to the combi boxes

[attachment=0:1iwqlrwy]Image1.png[/attachment:1iwqlrwy]
WIP Convert & TEX Viewer

Wow, that looks great, Nige. I’m not sure what exaclty is going on — I see the debug info at the upper left. Is it running in tandem with the engine?

P.S. - Really nice image. Is it from your game? :smiley:

Yeah, how did you do that? Did you integrate DGTexture with your converter? :slight_smile:

At the moment its just Dagon running in a GUI frame, I stripped Asylum out and got the engine running the bare min.
Its still AutoIt my progress with C++ is going really slow, I think I’ve spent more time getting Codeblock to work than actually doing anything, its seems right on Windows but the IDE goes funky under Linux

the image is from a scrapped game called Zeppelin, it never got passed the first room and the corridor lol I still like the story but the writer bailed

Its been awhile, but there is progress, seeing as the future is image sets it made life a bit easier to make some sort of Dagon Editor and here’s my progress so far:
Config editor you can quickly change the settings and run the game

Room editor will create nodes and connect them together, also it draws hotspots and returns the value, currently it’ll only plot 4 sides (square/rectangle)
Its going to take awhile but the idea works so far, the rooms etc are saved as an XML so they can be reloaded/edited
But everything in the pics work to some degree, the plotting was the first thing I got working I just need to make it adjust if the image is scaled… oh it also crops areas.

<note to self… I must start using my own room names :-[ >