Current milestone: 0.6.5-alpha

This thread serves to highlight the current milestone of Dagon. It will be updated as more releases become available. You can always download the binaries from this location:

We provide 32 and 64 bits binaries for Windows XP+, Universal binaries for Macs 10.5+, and packages for Linux Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, and openSUSE. The Ubuntu package should install on Mint as well.

Binaries will be provided when there are significant releases (not necessarily 0.7.0, 0.8.0, etc).

[hr]

Notes for release 0.6.5

This release is backward compatible with Dagon 0.5.0 scripts

Mostly a maintenance update with two major fixes:

• Direct control is working mostly fine. It needs more testing and polish but is working well enough to become the default control method.

• Video spots are 100% color-corrected and no seams are visible.

• Many, many fixes and improvements!

[hr]

Notes for release 0.6.0

This release is backward compatible with Dagon 0.5.0 scripts

So here we are with another important milestone. For the past month or so I’ve been reworking and improving many aspects of the engine, and today I’m ready to retire the 0.5 version from the Asylum teaser and move to 0.6. Don’t worry about the apparent slow progression between this versions, as we should move quickly towards 1.0 now.

This time I won’t bore you with geeky technical details, so here’s the quick rundown:

• All the ports are completely up to date, especially Linux. From now on, any feature added to Dagon must work exactly the same across all the platforms.

• Performance has been vastly improved. We tested this ourselves: 0.5 was performing extremely poor on one computer, but 0.6 delivered a smooth and speedy performance. This should address all the complaints we received about slow camera movement and transitions.

• No more crashes whatsoever either, at least none found during my extensive tests on Macs and Windows. That said, I haven’t been testing as much on Linux.

• There might be some minor regressions – I noticed that the camera sometimes performs an extra turn, which wasn’t happening before. Also, some sounds and music tracks seem to be fade out in wrong moments. These should be fixed shortly.

Thanks, Agustin! I’ve downloaded both versions of 0.6.0 for Windows and am anxious to try them out. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the new release Agustin.

This release is a lot faster compared to 0.5.0, and I’m getting roughly %30-40 more frames now which is great.

There are a few new problems though.

First of all, the first time I tried 64bit Windows release, it crashed when I did a speed run through my level on second or third node while doing the transition. I couldn’t repeat the crash, though, so I’m not sure what was the problem. It can be a one time thing.

Camera movement in fixed control mode is acting really weird. When in windowed mode, mouse cursor can leave the screen and return to Windows, so you lose control of the game. That’s not new, but now if you go to full screen using CTRL+F, controls become awkward. After turning a little camera gets kind of stuck and you can’t continue turning. You need to move the mouse to another direction. I believe it has something to do with reaching the edges of the screen with mouse (which is invisible), but not sure about that.

Slow and Normal camera speeds barely move the camera which is not really comfortable and Fastest speed is unnecessarily fast. You move the mouse a little and it does a few turns at once. In 0.5.0 camera speeds were very good in my opinion and Fixed mode worked quite nicely, if not a little too precise (not very lifelike if you will). I haven’t tried Free and Drag control types yet.

Another different thing, not sure if this is a problem or intentional actually.

[code]-- Screen resolution
displayWidth = 1600
displayHeight = 900

– Windows only: Disregard the screen best resolution and force the specified one.
forcedFullscreen = false

– Switch to fullscreen mode by default
fullscreen = true[/code]

Starting the game with these settings cause the game to run with black borders around on my 1980x1020 screen. Game starts in 1600x900, my screen resolution goes to 1600x900 but with borders which is weird, because I have a 16x9 monitor which is natural widescreen. Game window doesn’t stretch to the edges of the monitor. It like the picture I added. The thing is, if I start windowed 1600x900 and push CTRL+F, it goes full screen without any problem.

Another problem with these setting is sometimes when I push Esc, game doesn’t close and hangs. I have to force close through task manager to close Dagon in that situation. This happens often if I’m using these settings.

Other than these, everything seems in order. I haven’t tried 32bit release yet, though. I was using 32 bit release in 0.5.0, so I need to check if some of these problems are related to 64 bit release only in 0.6.0.

Excellent report, thank you so much! Some quick comments:

• Crashes, well, I guess we’re not rid of them, but it’s supposed to be more stable. Let’s wait until we hear more reports, but of course I’m going to investigate this.

• Direct control (fixed mode) remains very finicky and is next on my list. You should use “free” for now. Let me know how that works!

• The configuration file has changed, sorry I didn’t clarify this. Specifying displayWidth/Height now will always force the resolution, not only in Windows. That is, the engine will attempt to use the specified resolution both for windows and fullscreen (which means forceFullscreen is deprecated now). I guess this feature isn’t working as intended on some video cards, so I’ll investigate further. You should remove or comment those settings, or grab the new cfg from here: https://github.com/Senscape/Dagon/tree/master/examples

Direct control is working again, and is already more smooth and precise than in the Asylum teaser :smiley:

Great news. To me that’s the best control method. It feels like full 3d.

Finally, one of the most annoying problems we’ve been dragging around has been solved! Supposedly I was planning to look at this much later, but a patch submitted by a contributor encouraged me to fix it for once and for good.

So, all videos should now be 100% color perfect. That is, videos attached to spots should blend flawlessly with the underlying node. Check out the attached image – the top half is actually a Theora video. Can you find the differences? :smiley:

For best results you might want to encode your Theora videos with the best possible quality. We’re using ffmpeg2theora-0.29 with the following options (admittedly a tad overkill):

ffmpeg2theora -V 16778 -k 300 -d 99999 --optimize --no-skeleton --two-pass --soft-target

We haven’t found any differences with our own videos. They integrate perfectly now. I will post new Dagon releases, including this fix, later this week.

What A HUGE change, Agustin! Thank you. Thank you.

Thanks, this sounds really great.

Btw, Agustin, will you add compiled files or are you doing that only for main releases?

I’m uploading major releases myself, yes. The next one (0.6.5) is including binaries for Windows, Mac and a few Linux distros. Releasing today :slight_smile:

Got it. Thank you! Does this version get rid of the TEX files and does it use the same cfg file as did 06.0 and .1? :slight_smile:

EDIT: I see that the TEX files work still and that a cfg file is included in the download. :slight_smile:

The video patches match perfectly! :clapping: The direct control is a bit choppy and will probably take a bit of getting used to. Right clicking to fix the camera when accessing the HUD icons is very useful.

One problem noted so far – When using the video to move from SSHall to SSShip (Adamantus files), the camera gets confined to the 1920 x 1200 size on the node.

[code]–PRY OPEN DOOR TO SHIPS BAY.
–movie of PRYBAR at work then door opening
pry_DoorMovie = SSH1:addSpot( Spot (EAST, {64, 424}, {sync = true}) )
pry_DoorMovie:attach(AUDIO, “PryOpenSeal.ogg”)
pry_DoorMovie:attach(VIDEO, “PryDoor_ItOpens.ogv”)
pry_DoorMovie:disable()

–This is disabled at first until PRYBAR is used.
brokenSBDoor = addDoor(SSH1, SSShipBay, EAST, “SS”,
function()
effects.throb = 40 – dummy function; otherwise door doesn’t work
end)
brokenSBDoor:disable()

–locked door to the Ship’s Bay
–center of door for PRYBAR use
lockedSBDoor = SSH1:addSpot( Spot(EAST, {981, 881, 1089, 881, 1089, 1516, 981, 1516}) )
lockedSBDoor:attach(FUNCTION,
function()
if Notes.PryBar.State == ‘InHand’ then
pry_DoorMovie:enable()
pry_DoorMovie:play()
pry_DoorMovie:stop()
brokenSBDoor:enable()
inventory:usedInvItem(Notes.PryBar.Reader)
switch(SSShipBay)
lockedSBDoor:disable()
else
play(“door_locked.ogg”)
inventory:notUsedInvItem()
end
end)[/code]

It happened also when moving back from the desk in SSControl, but I could not reproduce that.

Thanks for the release Agustin. 0.6.5 works nicely. I can’t try videos yet since I don’t have anything to test it, so I can’t comment on that.

I noticed something interesting though. The crashes I’m getting from time to time always happen when game starts without sound. Sometimes when I start the engine, sounds don’t load and game goes completely silent. It still runs, but silently and I noticed that crashes only happen if game is silent like that. Doesn’t always crash if it’s silent, but if it does, that means it was silent.

I’m not sure but this problem might have something to do with the fact that I open/close the game so many times like a lunatic. I sometimes load and unload it like three times in ten seconds. Don’t ask why, but I just do it.

So, I hope this helps.

cool thanks… it has broke the Studio… well broke is the wrong word lol, a minor set back as in Dagon wont run inside the form now but I was considering not doing that anyway

civanT, I’m not sure about that, could be a bug in the OpenAL library. Do you have anything strange reported on the log file?

nigec, also weird because I didn’t change anything special. Could be direct control, so feel free to try with Free(2) and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]

Yeah, I noticed something strange. First strange thing is my Dagon.log file is 560 mb. So it took a little time to open it.

It was filled with millions of lines like these:

[code][Oct 2 12:20:41] AUDIO -> ERROR: OpenAL error: music_layer1.ogg: unqueue (40964)
[Oct 2 12:20:41] AUDIO -> ERROR: OpenAL error: music_layer1.ogg: unqueue (40964)
[Oct 2 12:20:41] AUDIO -> ERROR: OpenAL error: music_layer1.ogg: unqueue (40964)

[Oct 2 14:39:41] AUDIO -> ERROR: OpenAL error: step_marble_m: unqueue (40964)

[Oct 4 11:56:32] AUDIO -> ERROR: OpenAL error: phonering.ogg: unqueue (40964)
[Oct 4 11:56:32] AUDIO -> ERROR: OpenAL error: phonering.ogg: unqueue (40964)[/code]

I assume it’s safe to say this is an OpenAL error. Around 6.5 million lines of “ERROR: OpenAL error” gives it away a little.

Yikes, I really need to implement a failsafe for repeated logs.

Please, delete the file and post the contents whenever you receive the next error. We’ll get to the bottom of this :slight_smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [URL=http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1]now Free[/URL]

OK, here is another report. Obviously those error lines were from the time I had problematic scripts that I was correcting. So I had Spots with some mistakes and they were giving errors.

I managed to repeat the crash problem though, by running and shutting down Dagon a couple of times. It doesn’t create a report in Dagon log but you can see the error in the picture. After opening/closing a few times, Dagon starts silent sometimes and gives these errors and after changing a few nodes engine hangs and requires a manual shutdown.

There you go, this is a rare thing. It could be something related to your particular sound card or a random error in OpenAL. I’ll investigate it and try to output more details when such errors occur :slight_smile:

Sound is working fine for me, but entrapment as though the camera is in a slide when it’s actually in on a node has happened several times. The previous post gives the only action that I have found to reliably trap the camera into a 1920 x 1200 area, but it has also happened with a simple [I]switch[/I] and after returning from a slide. The log does not reveal and useful information. It seems to be pretty random.

EDIT: I think this may have to do with direct control mode. As an experiment, I switch to controlMode = 2 and ran about in Adamantus three times without becoming stuck. Each time I tried the repeatable move from the SSHall to the SSShip via the use of the video with no ill effects.