A gentle suggestion (with Agustin's permission)

Hi all,

I’m new to the Senscape forums. I’ve simply loved Scratches ever since I laid my eyes on it. I have researched every nook and cranny there pretty much can be to it (including the alternate ending, people’s many suggestions as to the storyline and Agustin himself responding, and the ending there never was) and I’ve had this dream to bring Scratches alive again (not that it ever died, mind you!).

Maybe this is a fool’s thought, and I’m very well aware that I might be just rambling, but I always thought there was more to the story than there was (the speculation alone between players justifies it) and I’ve thought maybe there was a way to make, maybe not as much as a Scratches sequel, but a continuation for the story to be brought among the fans.

Now, I’ve made some scenarios (I’ve ask Agustin for a permission for these kind of things on FB though a couple of years ago) for some kind of script to continue the Blackwood saga, maybe not so much as to what happened specifically at Northumberland, but how it could be more explained and how it could be continued.

But I need to know how the people here feels about it, should it be done, does Agustin himself approve should it happen, and if it is just my big idiotic idea for this. And yes, I’m willing to put my own money on the line for this.

Feel free to respond. I would love it if this gathers an interest big enough for us fans to make it, with Agustin himself cheering for the sidelines (EAGERLY awaiting for Asylum!)

It would be interesting to know more about the Dhalmaar (in past and present time).
Yes, we know what happend to them, but … it could be an interesting to reveal the details.
And what about the developped of things during the pregancy and after the birth of Robin, till James Blackwood died? Seems you could make a nice littel horror movie out of it.
And how about the future. What is Dothom doing right now?

I’ve no problems whatsoever with this and, actually, I encourage such endeavours :nod:

I mean, I’d enjoy myself reading or playing other people’s take on the Scratches story and its game world. I’m aware of a few projects here and there that never seemed to have come to fruition (other than a short fan novel posted here), but I’ve always gave such things my blessing.

Maybe I would ask that you refrain from doing a direct “Scratches 2” sequel, as it could give the impression that I’m somehow validating the story. I mean, I have a clear idea in my head of how the plot unfolded and I never intended to do a sequel myself. That said, I’d be eager to know about more theories, adaptations, or even new stories using the setting/background of Scratches :slight_smile:

Maybe you should consider both a prequel and a sequel, Agustin. I agree with trolodon and seagull, there are stories there. :slight_smile:

I’d have to agree with Imar. There is definitely enough detail and depth to the Scratches story for more stories. I’d welcome whatever stories are created. Scratches had me thinking about the story long after I finished the game.

Thing is, I’m really not into sequels, especially when I never intended them when I devised the original story. I would be willing to continue a story but only if it was previously planned (for example, if I had in mind a whole trilogy).

Otherwise, I prefer to move on when the game is over, with the exception of fun experiments like The Last Visit in Scratches and hopefully Memories in Asylum, which are never intended as “full blown” sequels.

I will confess that at some point, a long time ago, I toyed with the idea of doing a prequel to Scratches that would have covered the events occurring in South Africa prior to the whole shebang in Blackwood Manor. Those kind of things I like, that is, to explore the same story from different perspectives or timelines.

I think, rather than making a direct prequel or sequel, you should consider making a spin off type game - doing it this way you could change the character, which would allow a broader development of the Dhalmaar legend, or, what happened to Robin Blackwood, etc, as you could fabricate a whole new set of character experiences through which to tell it. Also, you could even consider setting it in a different time period/ even add new things to the environment, this would make it just that little bit different ^^.

By the way trolodon, if you got room for a little one, I’d really love to work on this with you ^^

[quote=“Cthulhu, post:7, topic:586”]I think, rather than making a direct prequel or sequel, you should consider making a spin off type game - doing it this way you could change the character, which would allow a broader development of the Dhalmaar legend, or, what happened to Robin Blackwood, etc, as you could fabricate a whole new set of character experiences through which to tell it. Also, you could even consider setting it in a different time period/ even add new things to the environment, this would make it just that little bit different ^^.

By the way trolodon, if you got room for a little one, I’d really love to work on this with you ^^[/quote]

I think Agustín already gave us plenty of hints that such spin off is already underway. Its name being “Asylum”.

I think Agustín already gave us plenty of hints that such spin off is already underway. Its name being "Asylum".

Correct me if I’m wrong Snake but I though Asylum was a totally new and separate venture from Scratches?

I meant a spin off that still had strong foundations in the original story of Scratches, but was liberated from the original setting just enough to put a new angle on the story.

No, no. Asylum doesn’t qualify as a “spin off”. True, there will be one or two surprises for fans of Scratches, and in some ways it’s set in the same game world, but very loosely.

Memories (IF it happens) is another thing. I haven’t determined yet to what extent it would reference the story in Scratches, but it wouldn’t be a sequel. Not by a long shot.

^Ok then. I though that since both games are set in the same universe (albeit loosely) that Asylum could be classified as a spin-of to Scratches.

Hi guys, and sorry for the late reply!

A prequel idea is very intriguing indeed, just imagine playing as James Blackwood during his engineering trip in South Africa, then maybe skipping to Eva Mariani as she witnesses the horrific murder, and finally as William Bailey, as he tries to put the pieces around the murder together. Maybe along the way some details about the relationships between certain characters, and some questions left unanswered in the basic game (such as what actually happened to James, why his bank account is still active and what thoughts led Dr. Milton to abandon his inherited mansion and where he was during the time period)are revealed. Also I think Jerry Carter would have something to do with all of this…or then again, maybe not?

I do have some ideas but I’m very open for all suggestions, as it is more difficult than I originally thought to put the new ideas on track with what happened, let alone come up with new ones which go along with the story.

As for the continuation for the story, it is a bit more puzzling, but Robin’s fate is still left unacknowledged even after The Last Visit, so that would be something that we could expand on.

And Cthulhu, I would appreciate all the help I can get :slight_smile:

As a side note, I could imagine Det. Bailey to have been committed to Hanwell himself, I recall him being quite distressed when Michael called him to question him about the murder of Catherine :smiley:

All of these can be answered with careful research in the game itself :wink:

OK, perhaps not Milton’s whereabouts, but that’s besides the point.

Well, you’re right, if you interpret it in a way I did it, if it goes along with James actually having a heart attack due to the pressure of all that has actually happened, and maybe having the doubt that even his beloved friend Dr. Milton doesn’t believe him (the letter in the drawer), Milton having the account still going somehow (inheritance?), and of course the obvious Robin being in the basement and having the knowledge of it (and hearing him all the time scratching his way out) but I still thought, specifically with James, that there was more than a simple heart attack or suicide, although the man had been through a lot.

Anyway, it’s great to have these thoughts with everyone sharing them, there is the thing that I suggested Agustin concerning Jerry, but it’s too far fetched as Agustin himself said.

Also, why was the grounds never studied when Ms. Mariani specifically said she saw Mr. Blackwood burying the body? Since the body in the crypt is neither Catherine nor Milton, it has to be James, so that’s out of the question that he’s alive…unless…

I’ve never played a game that told us so much, yet never answered all the details, like some great movies. Maybe that’s the thing that just wants me to see all the answers to this great story.

Hopefully I can do this again with Asylum :wink:

[quote=“trolodon, post:14, topic:586”]Also, why was the grounds never studied when Ms. Mariani specifically said she saw Mr. Blackwood burying the body? Since the body in the crypt is neither Catherine nor Milton, it has to be James, so that’s out of the question that he’s alive…unless…[/quote]The police were not alloud on the ground, because it is always a help to have influencial friends. Or beeing a doctor or an Engineer in a rural environement.
Tha body, as we can see when we play the second teaser, must be the body of Blackwood.
Sooooo … the game nearly answered all the questions you asked.
You could make a game where the answers are more clear by takeing another position. But that would somehow spoil the fun from the original game.
We don’t know about the Cult of Dothom in history or in the future.
Or about what happens to Robin and the Mask.
Sounds more interesting to me to create something new on the old fundament.

Hey there :stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry for the delay, I’ve been rather busy of late.

TROLODON:
I think we should both very carefully play through the game again, take notes etc, make sure we interpret the hell out of it, look through what other people interpret etc… it’ll be a good start ^^

I agree with Seagull, I don’t think we should try to answer all the questions, I think it’s nice to leave the player guessing about certain points and it could ruin some of the mystery of the original game if we try to cover it too heavily. Instead I think it’d be nice to maybe, hint at extra stuff pertaining to the original things, but again leave them guessing, or just, go at it from a completely separate angle and bring in new stuff, maybe what happens to robin, though I’m personally quite taken with exploring the Dhalmaar in more depth ^^

By the way, what area would you handle? I’m happy doing level building, scripting or audio. or a mixture :P. Also if we needed a 3d artist I know someone who might be interested :smiley: